Monday, April 9, 2007

Yes, I did it...

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day here in the White Mountains... sunny but cold! I didn't feel much like working outside yesterday because of the cold, so after church I went to see if I could find a watering can and a decent sprayer/mister. All the nurseries in town were closed due to Easter, so I headed down the road to: Wal-Mart! Yes, I know I don't like to shop there... I would rather support our local businesses than give my money to the big box retail stores. But I was bored and thought I would have a look see... I ended up with an "inexpensive" sprayer and watering can... plastic and made in China! But as I was wandering through the garden center, I noticed a rack of seeds... I swooped in for a closer look and low and behold, I see some Burpee seeds. I checked out the tomatoes and picked up a package of Red Lighting... they looked tasty so I grabbed a pack of Bonanza Broccoli, Watermelon radishes and some lavender and echinacea. I went home and started plating some more seeds! I am waiting for next weekend to plant the radishes but I started the broccoli and the flower seeds indoors. I also shifted up some more starts from the peat pellets to small peat pots. It was a great day "working in the garden" considering I was warm and toasty! Things are looking rather good for our starts and I am excited for next weekend when we start to put plants into the ground! We are going to plant some strawberries today. They will be our first plants in the ground for our garden. Adam bought some strawberry roots from a fundraiser and we have been storing them in the fridge. He is anxious to get them in the ground. I figure it will be a week or so before the foliage pushes up and we are planting through a black mulch cover.

Eric is getting interested too! I figure it is only a matter of time before he gets out there too! We are "liberating" his roto-tilling today too! He loaned it to another friend, Michael, after his divorce. Mike left it at his house when he sold it and moved across the neighborhood. So now we have to go to the new owner's place and get the roto-tiller... hopefully we can get it without a hitch! I figure once we start using his roto-tiller on the garden he will become a bit more interested. Plus his new girlfriend really likes to garden so that should bring him around!

Well that is all for now... I have to go work on the gate before my doctor's appointment!

Go easy!

No comments: