Friday, April 6, 2007

The planting continues!

So nice to have a four day weekend for Easter! The weather was perfect today - mid 70s! So I spent most of the day out in the garden! We already had today, Good Friday, off at school and we ended up with Monday off as well since we didn't use all of our snow days! Overall things went really well for our seedlings! Except we still don't have some tomatoes and some peppers... I realize they take longer to germinate... some other varieties of tomatoes have come up and some bell pepper are just starting... but this flat may have been too hot! I jury rigged a system to heat the flats and this one flat was closest to the heat source. I checked and they seem to still be coming along... just slower...

Luckily, the heat mat that I ordered came in so I was able to change things up. The potatoes also came in this week! I don't remember if I blogged about it in an earlier post, but we ordered a double batch of Yukon Gold, a batch of Red Gold and Swedish Fingerlings! Should be some good eating come Fall! We will probably start them next weekend. I have had to transplant some of the melons and pumpkins to larger pots already! Once they get established in another couple of weeks or so, we will be able to plant them in the wall o'water. The Baby Pam pumpkins blew out of the soil and almost pushed off the dome lid of the seedling greenhouse! It's amazing! I strung up some grow lights today and we are giving these little baby seedlings all the light we can!

We spent most of the day roto-tilling the garden. We borrowed a tiller from another teacher at school. It's an old machine but stills runs - barely! It's a front tine tiller that's about 35 years old or so... It's not the best but gets the job done!

Adam finished putting up the fence this week... so all we need now is the gate! Adam starting to demolish a couple of old sheds on the property and I am going to build the gate out of the recycled lumber. It will give that aged, rustic appearance and will save money! I am leaning toward a half moon gate that will mirror the arch of the juniper beam lashed above the portal. It will look good in any case! We also need to string the deer wire. Adam went out this week and bought some 8 foot stakes to string the deer wire along. As I have probably mentioned before, deer and elk won't jump over a wire that high... especially when you hang flags off the wire! I am going to cut an old silver, reflective emergency blanket into strips to hang off the wire to make sure the deer notice it!

We are also planting more seeds this weekend! I will post with the types once I get everything finished! I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend!

The crew at Rancho Gringos Blancos

No comments: